Travel Insurance

Frequently asked questions

Do you cover offshore sailing and are there limits as to how far offshore I can sail?

Yes, Topsail travel insurance covers offshore sailing. Our comprehensive travel insurance does not limit the number of miles or how far offshore you can sail, providing you are sailing within the permitted geographical area specified in your policy.

Should I get a single or annual policy?

We offer both options and it is entirely up to you! Sometimes it can be more cost-effective to take an annual travel insurance policy. Did you know that Topsail’s travel insurance multi-trip annual policies cover you for your sailing holiday and leisure trips too?! Please contact us and we can advise a policy that will best suit your needs.

How do I work out how long I’m going to be away?

Your trip duration is calculated from the date you leave your country of residence to the date you return.

I am sailing on a vessel other than a Yacht – are your policies suitable for me?

We offer comprehensive travel insurance policies that are equally suitable for people aboard sailing boats, motor yachts, Tall Ships, or any other kind of sea-going vessel.

How do I know which area I am travelling to?

The definitions are as follows: Area 1: United Kingdom and Europe. England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, Europe including Republic of Ireland, Azores, Canary Islands, Madeira and countries bordering the Mediterranean (excluding trips to and from the Arctic and Antarctica unless You have paid a supplementary premium).. Cover only applies if Your Trip is outside a 50 mile radius from Your home and at least two nights stay in pre-booked accommodation, or where you are travelling to or from a marina, port or harbour for the purpose of sailing or crewing on any vessel within the United Kingdom waters

Area 2: Worldwide excluding USA and Canada, Arctic and Antarctic Anywhere in the world (excluding trips to and from the USA, Canada, Arctic Circle and Antarctic Circle unless You have paid a supplementary premium and it is noted on Your Certificate Schedule)

Why shouldn’t I just insure through my bank or something similar?

Many basic travel insurance policies are not specialised enough to cover you for sailing trips, with many excluding waterborne activities completely. If cover is provided, it is often limited to no further than 12 nautical miles offshore or only within territorial waters. As such, if you sail offshore then have an incident, it may not be covered. You are less likely to receive comprehensive travel and medical insurance specific to your sailing and holiday trip.

What discounts can you offer?

When applying on our website, we automatically apply family and partner discounts if they are applicable. We work closely with the sailing and travel community and various sailing associations such as the Ocean Cruising Club and Cruising Association and provide a discount for members. We also offer an introductory joint policy discount if you take out both annual travel and boat insurance through Topsail Insurance – contact us for more information!

Do you have a maximum age limit?

For anyone under 80 years of age, we can quote for you through our online Quote and Buy system with no need to refer in. If you are 80 or over, please let us know and we will consider your application separately.

If I am unable to find my residency on your drop-down list does this mean you are unable to provide insurance for residents of my country? If I have a second address in a different country, can I use this instead?

This often means that we are unable to provide insurance for residents of your country, but please do email so we can provide confirmation if you are unsure. If you have a second address that is included in the drop-down list you may use this, however please note this then means that in the event that you need to be repatriated, you would be taken to the address on your policy.

Can you cover under 18 year olds?

Topsail Insurance single trip policies can cover under 18’s, however the policy will need to be in the name of a parent or guardian for the purpose of the contract. The online application will ask for this information and it will be noted on your Certificate of insurance. Please note under 18’s must be accompanied by an adult at all times for cover to be in place.

What do I do if I need to make an insurance claim?

Please refer to the How to make a claim section of your policy wording. It is advisable to carry these details with you when travelling, as this includes a 24 hour emergency assistance number if required. It also details the process for making a non-emergency insurance claim against your yacht travel insurance policy. If you have any questions about your policy or need any assistance, then call Topsail Insurance on +44 (0) 1273 57 37 27.

How can I advise about my medical declaration when taking out travel insurance? Will these effect my premium?

Once you have used the Quote and Buy system to receive a quotation, you can click on ‘Apply now’, which will then take you to the full application. This includes a question on whether you have a medical declaration to make and a box for you to submit details of this. The effect on the insurance is dependent on the medical condition declared. Each application is assessed individually in-house.

Am I covered for ‘acts of god’, e.g. cancellation due to bad weather?

Our comprehensive travel insurance provides cover if you are delayed for over 24 hours or your pre-booked public transport is cancelled due to adverse weather, fire, earthquakes or mechanical problems. This relates to publicly licensed vessels only.

Do your policies cover non-sailing holidays?

Topsail travel insurance policies are specifically designed for the sailing community and we would expect that you will undertake some yachting or boating activities within the period. However, our annual polices also cover your travel insurance needs for your worldwide leisure non-sailing holidays, with some policies providing business and winter sports cover.. Our single trip policies are designed for use on the water only, however our Yachtsman’s Single policies do not specifically exclude non-sailing holidays.

Is there a limit for trips to the USA?

We cannot cover trips to the USA in excess of 89 days in any one 365-day period. Due to the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) we are legally unable to offer USA cover if you have spent 89 days in this area in the last 365 days, or if you will exceed the 89 day limitation in any one 365 day period.

Can you insure against the loss of my charter deposit?

Yes. Our Charter Deposit Insurance can be added to any of our policies for an additional cost and you can find out more about the cover provided in Section 10 of our Policy Wording.

Am I covered for winter sports?

Winter sports is covered for seven days as standard with our Bronze policy, 17 days with our Silver policy and 21 days with our Gold policy. If you are taking out a single trip policy, there is the option to pay an additional premium to include Winter sports cover. We aim to offer fully comprehensive travel insurances policies so please speak with the team as we can build a bespoke policy to fit your trip.

What activities do you cover under your travel insurance policies?

Please review the Sports and Adventure Activities list in the policy wording which lists all activities and sports that we cover at no additional premium. Should the activity you are partaking in not be listed please email for confirmation as to whether we are able to provide cover.

Am I covered whilst racing?

Yes, as long as you are not competing professionally or in a ‘round-the-world’ race, such as the Clipper Round The World Race.

Am I covered for my personal liability to other people?

If you are a delivery skipper or crew member contracted for under six months, then a Topsail Yachtsman’s insurance product is suitable. Our Yachtsman’s travel products do provide you with personal liability cover. This is to cover claims from other people in the event that you should cause them death, personal injury or damage to their property. It should be noted that while on board a waterborne craft, this only covers your person-to-person liability and does not include liability relating to the hull, as we would expect that to be covered by the yacht or motor boat insurance policy. If you have any doubt as to the extent of the cover being provided, then please contact the office.

Can I extend my maximum trip duration once I am away?

You can extend your maximum duration away for an additional cost, plus our administration fee.

How do you work out the Yachtsman’s Gold premium?

The Topsail Yachtsman’s Gold premium is worked out on a standard period away of 60 days. There is then a charge per additional month that you intend to be away. Please note this is the maximum duration any one trip.

Do you offer a Private Medical Insurance (PMI) long-term health care cover?

It is important to note that Topsail Travel Insurance Policies are an emergency travel insurance only and not a long-term health care plan. If you are requiring a comprehensive Private Medical Insurance which includes routine care, then we would recommend that you discuss your needs with a specialist Private Medical Insurance providers or your Independent Financial Advisor (IFA) who may be able to assist.

Where can I find a copy of the policy?

Please click here to see our Policy Wording.

Do you provide cover for working crew?

If you are onboard a yacht or motorboat under a contract of employment as a permanent or part time crew then we would refer you to our Crewman’s Travel products – click here.

Do you provide cover for working crew?

Please email us at [email protected] and we will come back to you as soon as possible, or call the office on +44 (0) 1273 57 37 27.

Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions